Monday, February 19, 2007

Yes, it’s true, I finally did it!

After weeks of frustration, I finally got my HP 5440 printer to work with the PIII Laptop (the IBM ThinkPad). I was thrilled...but wait, there’s more! I made the printer a network share, and now I can print from my Compaq PIIII laptop (thanks again Jim), via my home wireless network, from anywhere in the apt. Fantastic! As you may or may not know, a Macintosh computer cannot print to a Windows net share printer, unless that printer is a Postscript (Adobe’s standard publishing page description language) printer. I Googled around the internet and found some open source drivers that emulate postscript drivers for the Mac OS. No problem! I installed said drivers on my Mac laptop and viola! Now I can print, via the wireless network, to the HP 5440, from anywhere in the apt!

Bottom line is this--> The old PIII is now my:
Web Server
File server
Print Server

For every computer in the house. Yea ME!!!

No comments: